THORNAPPLE KELLOGG SCHOOLS
2019 - 2020 Schools of Choice
The School of Choice window for the 2019-2020 school year is closed.
2019-2020 Kent County and 105c Schools of Choice applications will be available
April 8 - May 10, 2019
Thornapple Kellogg participates in both the Kent Intermediate School District Schools of Choice and the 105c Schools of Choice plans. All students residing within the Kent Intermediate School District may apply for enrollment in any Kent ISD school that has available openings during the advertised time frame. Students who reside in a district that is within a different ISD which borders the Kent ISD, may apply under the 105c plan.
Considerations for Families Considering Schools of Choice
- Transportation is not provided for Schools of Choice students, parent or student must provide their own transportation.
- Michigan law and KISD Superintendents' Association agree that siblings should be kept together in a single district whenever possible. As a result, siblings of current Choice students may receive preference in filling district openings.
- Special Education students wishing to enroll under Section 105c for whom a cooperative agreement regarding costs cannot be obtained with their district of residence will be refused Schools of Choice.
- Enrollment may also be denied to students who have been suspended, expelled, or convicted of a felony.
- Accepted students must agree to comply with Choice district's policies.
Note New Athletic Rule - Important!
Athletics and Schools of Choice
- According to the Michigan High School Athletic Association, students accepted into the Schools of Choice program who are in grades 9 through 12 who have participated in an interscholastic scrimmage or contest in an MHSAA sport on a school-sponsored team in Michigan or elsewhere during the previous season for a sport, and then transfer to an MHSAA member school, are ineligible at all levels of that sport at that school through the next complete season in that sport. Students who transfer during a season in which they are participating are ineligible at all levels of that sport for the remainder of that season, and they remain ineligible at all levels of that sport through the next complete season in that sport.**
- According to the Michigan High School Athletic Association students accepted into the Schools of Choice program who are in grades 9 – 12 who have not participated in an interscholastic scrimmage or contest on a school-sponsored team in Michigan or elsewhere in an MHSAA sport one season may transfer from one school to another with no delay in eligibility at any level in that sport the next season.**
- **This new rule will begin implementation on August 1, 2018, with effects on eligibility beginning August 1, 2019.
2019 - 2020 Schools of Choice Timelines and Applications
Applications will be available on April 8, 2019. Applications are not considered on a first come, first served basis. If we receive more applications than we have grade-level openings, a blind draw will be required. You may either come into our office at 10051 Green Lake Rd., Middleville, to complete an application or download a copy and bring it to our office no later than 4:00 pm on May 10, 2019.
Students residing in a district within the Kent ISD may apply for Schools of Choice April 8 - May 10, 2019. Parents will be notified by May 22 if the student is accepted and must confirm acceptance no later than May 30. Waitlist families will be notified about openings and must confirm their decision to attend by June 3, 2019.
Kent County SOC applications only:
Kent County SOC Application English Version
Kent County SOC Application Spanish Version
Kent County Collaborative Schools of Choice Program Brochure
Students residing in contiguous intermediate school districts bordering the Kent ISD such as Allegan, Barry, Ionia, Ottawa (districts such as Hastings, Delton, Wayland, Lakewood, Martin), may apply through Schools of Choice 105c April 8 - May 10, 2019. Parents will be notified by May 22 if the student is accepted and must confirm acceptance no later than May 30. Waitlist families will be notified about openings and must confirm their decision to attend by June 3, 2019.
105c SOC applications only:
105c Application English Version
105c Application Spanish Version
If you have additional questions, please call Heidi VanAman at 269-795-5522.