Schools of Choice
THORNAPPLE KELLOGG SCHOOLS
2019 - 2020 Schools of Choice
- Transportation is not provided for Schools of Choice students, parent or student must provide their own transportation.
- Michigan law and KISD Superintendents' Association agree that siblings should be kept together in a single district whenever possible. As a result, siblings of current Choice students may receive preference in filling district openings.
- Special Education students wishing to enroll under Section 105c for whom a cooperative agreement regarding costs cannot be obtained with their district of residence will be refused Schools of Choice.
- Enrollment may also be denied to students who have been suspended, expelled, or convicted of a felony.
- Accepted students must agree to comply with Choice district's policies.
- According to the Michigan High School Athletic Association, students accepted into the Schools of Choice program who are in grades 9 through 12 who have participated in an interscholastic scrimmage or contest in an MHSAA sport on a school-sponsored team in Michigan or elsewhere during the previous season for a sport, and then transfer to an MHSAA member school, are ineligible at all levels of that sport at that school through the next complete season in that sport. Students who transfer during a season in which they are participating are ineligible at all levels of that sport for the remainder of that season, and they remain ineligible at all levels of that sport through the next complete season in that sport.**
- According to the Michigan High School Athletic Association students accepted into the Schools of Choice program who are in grades 9 – 12 who have not participated in an interscholastic scrimmage or contest on a school-sponsored team in Michigan or elsewhere in an MHSAA sport one season may transfer from one school to another with no delay in eligibility at any level in that sport the next season.**
- **This new rule will begin implementation on August 1, 2018, with effects on eligibility beginning August 1, 2019.
Students residing in contiguous intermediate school districts bordering the Kent ISD such as Allegan, Barry, Ionia, Ottawa (districts such as Hastings, Delton, Wayland, Lakewood, Martin), may apply through Schools of Choice 105c April 8 - May 10, 2019. Parents will be notified by May 22 if the student is accepted and must confirm acceptance no later than May 30. Waitlist families will be notified about openings and must confirm their decision to attend by June 3, 2019.
105c SOC applications only:
If you have additional questions, please call Heidi VanAman at 269-795-5522.
School of Choice Openings
2019 - 2020